Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Install WordPress using command prompt or shell access

Recently one of my clients had bought a server from a company who provided a shell access. Since the server was using Linux (without the GUI) I did not know how to setup a FTP server so that I could upload the files to the remote server using the FTP client.  I contacted the host and was informed that a FTP server would be installed tomorrow during the working hours which would mean that I would have to wait for 8 hours and also getup at a odd time to do the installation as early as possible.

Not satisfied with the solution at hand since my client wanted to make the site live as early as possible, I went to Google to find out if there was tutorial on how to do the installation a linux machine using the console based tools. I found this page which was on the WordPress codex.

The instructions are clear and straight forward and I can vouch that no experience on Linux machines (but some knowledge of MS DOS commands is helpful) is needed to carry out the steps mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment